I have to say I surprised myself when I mistook the day of the royal wedding to be today, Sunday, instead of yesterday, as I have been sort of keeping up with ‘MegMeg and Harry’. Never the less, I managed to be perched in time for her arrival at the altar.
The day I saw Meghan’s mother Doria in dreadlocks, Meghan suddenly meant a bit more to me. Haha! In my mind it was a quick nod to not only the black community but the natural hair community. People and various fashion critics tend to think this kind of hairstyle is dirty, or unprofessional looking, etc. Well she has been welcomed into the most photographed family in the world! Take that! Meghan Markle is refreshing in so many ways but this was one of my personal little ‘refreshments’.
I didn’t mind following along up until their big day because to me, they represent a different kind of celebrity. If we are going to have celebrities in this world, lets have Harry and Meghan right in there. Lol. Yes a bit of drama did threaten to thwart their big day but which family does not have drama? At least the happy couple were not feeding it or airing it out for the right price. They tend to be out and about supporting various causes and not the latest in fashion and beauty trends. They sort of just are and are not trying to be.
Now onto the big day…
Can we just give a quick shout out to the prince and his display of varied emotion! Okayyyyyy?! I don’t remember Prince William being as giddy or teary.
The dress, elegant as it was, was reminiscent of a much older bride. That’s immediately what came to mind. It was something that immediately didn’t impress but one that we would later come to appreciate. Some have dubbed it timeless and classic and I do have to concede. I suppose statements are not always about fashion sense, they can be about where we are at a certain point in our lives! A wedding dress is the most personal thing to a bride and her biggest expression and Meghan’s choice did speak volumes! Aside from fashion, to me, it reflected the gracious, calming and mature effect they say she has over her prince. I also think that perhaps the fact that this was not her first time down the isle, played a role in her choice. Older and wiser, more confident about life….
The make-up, I absolutely loved. I am always going to be a fun of a subtle natural look! That will aways be the definition of ‘flawless’ to me. Not the latest in highlight and shimmer, but a warm natural face. I am yet to see one bad facial picture of this beautiful woman! Her face truly is a photographer/magazine’s dream.
By the end of that church service it was clear who would wear the pants in the marriage! Am dubbing that service ‘The takeover’! Lol. The mere fact that she was visibly able to incorporate so much of her touch to the service was nothing short of amazing. We have to realise it can be intimidating to go up against centuries of tradition and she could have easily just fallen in line and stopped at the mother wearing dreadlocks and being 1/4 black. Instead she brought the vibrant black preacher, and what preacher is complete without his entourage, an all black choir!! Yes Meghan, took us to church!
What more can I say except, congratulations to Harry and Meghan, it all came together like a classic!
And lastly I leave with my top 10 looks of the entire day….
1. The bride and groom heading for their evening reception. Royal glamour! Enough said!
2. David Beckham in his perfect fit. Victoria framing him quite nicely, wouldn’t you agree?! I don’t feel quite ready to forgive one of my favourite fashion icons for coming to yet another spring royal wedding in the exact dark colour as she did the last one! We are not having it Aunty Vicky!
3. Carey Mulligan for a flirty and printed classic.
4. Lady Kitty Spencer for bringing print and colour in a British quintessential cut! Yes girl! Do it for Diana!
5. Sofia Wellesley, Jame’s Blunt’s wife for this printed perfection!
6. Oprah Winfrey for this pink and pretty Hollywood interpretation of British style.
7. Kate Middleton and my favourite little royal. If this look feels like deja vu, its because she has worn this twice/thrice before. Nothing short of confidence for this act of repetition in an elegant and timeless McQueen piece. I do think her and Meghan are two peas in a pod and probably agreed this theme for each other over tea and warm biscuits. Sisters- in- law power! Bring it!
8. Tom Hardy’s wife, Charlotte. I mean there’s little wrong you can do when you go with prints!
9. Gina Torres. Just yes!
10. This gorgeous duet! Giving us both block colour and print all in one stylish arrival!
That’s all folks. Cast your votes. What were your favourite looks? Comment, subscribe.
Have a great week.